What are some new things you can do to think and relax you at the same time?
Here are my top five to start making time for in your life:
1. Cooking and Trying New Recipes - When we cook, we take the words on a page (if you follow a recipe) and use the mind to create something tangible. If you aim to cook healthy alternatives to some of your favorite dishes, that is a great way to think and create. It requires you to think of alternatives such as swapping butter for coconut oil, almond flour for white flour, to improve your health and still enjoy meals. Learning to cook a new type of food such as Indian, Vietnamese, or how to make Sushi are also great ways to increase your mind power.
2. Masterclasses - Learning from others builds connections, a growing sense of self, and allows you to acquire a new skill. Many masterclasses online teach skills such as how to be a great public speaker, start your own online business, or market your current one like a pro. Many also encourage you to get involved in their Facebook groups with other like-minded individuals.
3. Podcasts - They have gained popularity recently as they inspire us to learn from others and become self-empowered. We can hear straight from health practitioners on ways to improve our health. There are many podcasts and online classes available that cover anything and everything you can think of.
4. Learn a New Language - In most high schools throughout the U.S., it is mandatory to take a language course for two years. In California, Spanish or French are usually offered. If you started learning when you were in school, try picking up where you left off and practice as often as possible with writing it as well.
5. Word games, Puzzles, and Crosswords - A large life-like picture puzzle can be an activity the entire family participates in. It allows you to build something together and kids love the challenge of too. For those in the pre-teen years, games like Boggle, Scrabble, or other word game can help them learn new words and increase their vocabulary in a fun way. Many word games are available online too. Working on a crossword puzzle can be a relaxing way to quiet your mind (while still using it) in the evening.
These are excellent ways to give your mind the vitamins it needs to stay active. All it takes is one of two of these that interest you and by doing them regularly you will help your mind to function at its best for years to come.