You will need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 shallots, diced
- ½ apple, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups cauliflower, separated into florets
- 1-quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup baby spinach1 cup baby kale
- Juice of 1 lemon (or more to taste)
- Sea salt to taste
- Using a heavy-bottom stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the red onion, shallots, and apple until they just start to brown, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato and cauliflower and stir for a minute or two.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the cauliflower and sweet potato are soft about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the spinach and kale and stir until they are wilted.
- Purée all the ingredients using an immersion blender. If you prefer a very smooth soup, transfer to a blender to purée, working in batches.
- Add sea salt and lemon juice to taste.
Variation: If you don’t like sweet potato, omit and add more cauliflower. You can also roast the cauliflower, onion, and apple, tossed with the olive oil, in a 400° oven for 25 minutes, rather thansautéing them, add to the stockpot and proceed with recipe.