Xenoestrogens are a type of xenohormone that imitates estrogen, can wreak havoc with your natural hormone balance, and are often referred to as “fake estrogen.”
When our hormones are out of whack, we can feel irritable, moody, experience brain-fog, and experience sore joints, dry skin, hair loss, and generally unhappy.
Unfortunately, one of the causes of these endocrine disruptions are xenoestrogen chemicals that mimic the natural estrogen hormone in our bodies.
Endocrine Disrupting Xenoestrogen Chemicals:
- Fragrance or parfum- look for essential oils instead
- Pfcs (perfluorinated chemicals like PFOAs found in non-stick pans)
- Organophosphate pesticides
- Glycol ethers, propylene glycol
- Petrolatum, mineral oil & paraffin wax
- DMDM hydantoin, or methenamine and quaternium-15
- Diethanolamine (DEA), Triethanolamine (TEA), Monoethanolamine(MEA)
8 Steps to Detox Fake Estrogen:
1. Ditch plastic in every way possible. You can purchase plastic-free coffee makers, plastic free travel mugs and cups, and lunch bags made out of paper instead of plastic.
2. Use glass containers whenever possible. Never microwave food in plastic or use plastic wrap to cover it, even if it says it is “microwave safe.”
3. Make your own non-toxic cleaning products. 27 Chemical Free DIY Cleaners that can be used for everyday and deep cleaning to keep your home, body, and family safe from chemicals and xenoestrogens.
4. Make your own natural beauty and bath products or buy the non-toxic versions with ingredients you know. Our favorite hydrating serums are Reset360 Organics, you can check them out here.
5. Replace non-stick cookware with alternatives like Teflon Free Cookware: cast iron, stainless steel, or ceramic cookware.
6. Rethink birth control. It may be time to talk with your partner and doctor about alternatives.
7. Take your shoes off before you enter the house. Think about all the chemicals you step in or on throughout the day and other nasty germs. Don’t bring those into the home by wearing your shoes inside.
8. Eat more detoxifying foods like green tea, chia seeds, turmeric, leafy green vegetables - cauliflower, kale, collards, and broccoli for example.
Remember, this process is not an overnight shift, but a dedication to a xenoestrogen free lifestyle. It is recommended to pick one chemical a week or month, depending on your time, funds, and dedication, and replace as many things in the home as you can that fall under that toxin. For example, parabens are in many cosmetics, lotions, and hair care products. When you’re ready, remove these items from your home and replace them with toxin free variations or do not use them at all.
Think about it this way:
If something is toxic to digest, why would you use it in your makeup or skincare routine?
If your aim is to clean the house to ensure germs don’t get your family sick, why would you use toxins that are also harmful to you?
Common Products to Avoid:
- Plastics- food storage containers, plastic bags, & drink bottles
- Detergents & other cleaning products
- Soaps & other bath products, especially stuff that bubbles!
- Pesticides & conventional produce
- Dryer sheets & dry cleaning chemicals
- Bleached feminine hygiene products
- The inside of microwave popcorn bags
- Children’s pajamas (fire retardants)
6 Tips to Sustain a Xenoestrogen Free Detox of Home and Body:
1. Buy mostly organic, shop farmer’s markets, or grow your own organic produce.
2. Choose fresh or frozen canned foods.
3. Choose DIY products whenever possible that are xenoestrogen free or buy products that are natural and have limited ingredients. 5 or fewer is the general rule, but it’s also important to know what those ingredients are and be able to pronounce them.
4. Choose wild-caught seafood and avoid high-mercury fish.
5. Be fragrance free. Any scent that lasts longer than 15 minutes may be toxic to your reproductive system because of its phthalate content .
6. Drink filtered water and don’t buy plastic water bottles. Avoid plastic!
This may feel overwhelming and that is okay. This is a process, not a race to the end.
If you're eager to get started and want some help re-balancing Estrogen, sign up for the 5-Day Estrogen Reset program!